Quarantine week 1 complete. Give yourself a pat on the back! If you’re anything like us (AKA snacking 24/7) your food stash might have dwindled a little more than you expected. If that’s the case, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve compiled a list of recipes with only FIVE ingredients to try out for dinner tonight. Bon appetite!
Spaghetti + egg + cheese + garlic + bacon
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; reserve 1/2 cup water and drain well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and Parmesan; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes; reserve excess fat.
- Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low.
- Working quickly, stir in pasta and egg mixture, and gently toss to combine; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add reserved pasta water, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Steak & Potato Hash
Steak + bell peppers + onion + spices + potatoes
- Flank Steak
- 3 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 3 bell peppers sliced, seeds and top removed
- 1 small onion sliced
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- cilantro * optional for garnish
Heat a grill pan over high heat and sprinkle each side of the steak with the season salt.
Place the steak in the pan and turn down to medium heat.
Cook for 6 to 8 minutes and turn over (longer for more well done, but it will get cooked more in the potato pan so don’t over cook it), allowing it to finish cooking on the other side.
Remove from pan and tent with foil on a plate for 10 minutes.
In a large saute pan over medium heat, add the first teaspoon of olive oil and add the peppers and onion.
Cook until tender about 3 minutes.
Add the potatoes and remaining olive oil and cook until hot all the way through and golden on the outside.
Meanwhile, chop the steak, and once the potatoes are cooked add the steak, toss and allow to cook an additional 2 minutes.
Serve with fresh cilantro for a little freshness.
Pasta + arugula + mozzarella + red peppers + pesto
- Whole wheat pasta
- Mozzarella (you could also use shredded cheese)
- Roasted red peppers
- Basil Pesto
- Cook pasta in a large stockpot of generously-salted boiling water al dente, according to package instructions. Drain pasta and rinse under cold water for about 20-30 seconds until no longer hot.
- In a large serving bowl, toss pasta with the remaining ingredients until combined. Serve immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Black Bean Soup
Black beans + salsa + cilantro + cumin + garlic
- 3 (15 oz) cans black beans, with liquid
- 1 lb. (about 2.5 cups) good-quality salsa, homemade or store-bought (I love the brand Herdez)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, loosely packed (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until simmering. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve soup warm topped with additional fresh cilantro as garnish.
Vegetarian Lentil Lasagna
Lasagna noodles + tomato soup + lentils + pesto + cheese
- Package of no-pre cook lasagne sheets
- 600ml Carton of creamy tomato soup (about 2.5 cups)
- About 1 cup of pre cooked lentils from a jar or pouch
- 190g jar of green pesto (about 7oz)
- A couple handfuls of cheese
- Pre heat the oven to 350F
- You don’t need to pre cook or pre mix anything. Just layer it all up cold.
- Pour a bit of the soup on the bottom of the pan and add the first layer of pasta sheets. My layers went like this: tomato soup topped with lentils / pesto / REPEAT / a topping made with the rest of the tomato soup, a sprinkling of cheese and the last dollops of pesto
- Cover the pan, and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes.